Thursday, August 13, 2009

Lovely Ladies In DC

My "Philly in a Day" trip was followed immediately with a drive to Old Town Alexandria, where I had more business to conduct. Another opportunity to explore a town I've never been to, and to hook up with another Chi Omega Sorority sister or two. So, my handy assistant and I (my daughter Taryn) traveled with Walter and Claire Klages, the research team for our mutual client, Northern Virginia's, Loudoun County. I am so glad the Focus Group for that night was in Old Town Alexandria, because it was a charming old walking city a stone's throw from DC. It also gave me another VA town to compare Loudoun's quaint towns and villages to. The Morrison House, another Kimpton hotel, was delightful... and again I had a better room than Walter (wink wink). The only surprise was the fact that VA doesn't allow alcohol to be given away, so the free wine hour in the lobby that is Kimpton's signature, was not permitted. :(

This girl is not dull, so the day after my work assignment, I stayed for an extra day to rendezvous with my dear friend Patty Fitzsimmons. She is a beauty of a lady, always has been - and it was so great to see her after 20 years. How do we let time escape us like that? I will never forget the beautiful rendition of Amazing Grace she sang at my wedding.

Patty played tour guide (see a pattern? if not, refer back to Philly in a Day post) for us, and whisked us off to DC, where we met sorority sister Chris Pellerin and her adorable daughter Emily at the Old Ebbit Grill. Chris is an influential lobbyist, with offices basically across the street from the White House. I was so thankful she took a few hours out of her work day to lunch with us and show us her office digs. Between these two DC experts, we were able to get a great overview of the city, and a few inside stories as well.

Unfortunately, our one day visit did not afford us time to go into some of the famous landmarks, like the Washington Monument and the Capitol, but believe me, we will plan another visit to this impressive city. It is really hard to describe how awesome it is to see all these monumental buildings side-by-side - from the Treasury, to the National Library, to the Pentagon. Just wow.

We went for a walk through the grand Willard Hotel, where Reverend Martin Luther King Jr wrote his speech "I Have a Dream", and Julia Ward Howe penned the "Battle Hymn of the Republic." We imbibed in a delicious Mojito at the hotel's illustrious Round Robin Bar, where Confederate spies were said to conspire against the Union.

I'm going to have to say, little Emily stole the show that day for me with this little interaction between she and my daughter in front of the White House:

Taryn: "You see that house there, Emily. Do you know whose house it is?"
Emily: "No, whose?"
Taryn: "President Obama's."
Emily looks perplexed.
Taryn: "He lives in there."
Emily: "No he doesn't."
Taryn: "He does, that's his house."
Emily: "Nuh uh, he lives inside the TV."


















2 comments:

Unknown said...

Marianne,
Glad to hear you had a wonderful time in DC and Loudoun County!

If your or any of your readers would like to tour Washington DC or visit DC's Wine Country in Loudoun, Reston Limousine offers fun DC tours and weekly wine tours on the Loudoun Wine Trail.

To book a seat or for more information, please visit www.restonlimo.com.

Cheers!

Marianne Cushing said...

Reston, thanks for the comments. Hope you don't always have to drive so you, too, get to enjoy the Wine Country of Loudoun. It's a beautiful place!