Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Taryn's 18th Birthday in NYC - Day Two

On Saturday morning, Taryn and I were in our hotel room getting ready for the day when someone knocked on the door. Now mind you, I had remained in my jeans and bra just so that when this occurred, I would have cause to make Tar answer it. Now to give you a bit of history, Taryn had been spying on a couple across the street, who were on an apartment or hotel (couldn't tell) balcony having what looked to be a lover's quarrel. When the knock came, the look of terror on my daughter's face was undeniable. She thought they had seen her and came to confront her. LOL! I'm sorry, that's funny - I don't care WHO you are!

OMG! It's Aunt Christine! What are you doing here??? I'm here to shop 5th Ave with you! And so Day 2 began. Before heading to 5th Ave, we checked out the new pedestrian area in Times Square and had breakfast at Junior's Diner. On our way to 5th, we strolled by the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center and braved the pre-holiday streets. Whoa! Christmas shopping in NYC a couple weeks before the holiday is nuts! I felt like I was in Chinatown during the Chinese New Year parade. That didn't stop the trio.

We decided we love the little grocery market next door to our hotel, and picked up a couple snacks in the afternoon after an exhausting day (hey, spending money is hard work!). We refreshed and dressed for Saturday night's reunion with my sorority sisters. Melanie had flown in from Cali, and Gwen was coming in from Jersey. Andrea was bunking at Karen's house. We met at Blu Chili, our favorite sushi and martini bar. My sisters were happy to see Christine again, and they even made her an honorary Chi Omega. They didn't do so for Taryn, since she will be a full-fledged sister by next year. Wink wink.

We couldn't leave the city without the obligatory visit to our favorite gay piano bar on the upper east side, Brandy's. And, we even found a sofa on the street for Annie. Some things are funny, year after year. Again, someone was missing (Cheryl).
















No comments: