Sunday, July 25, 2010

Class of 2010

This Spring has been centrally focused on our awesome daughter, Taryn. It has been a bittersweet time in our household as her high school graduation approached and passed, and the countdown to our empty nest has ensued. As I've watched other parents this year going through the same emotions, I've noticed a slightly more intense variety in those of us with an only child. There are no more children to follow, so the feeling of finality looms over us. We are happy yet anxious. Proud yet worried. Excited yet cautious. Relieved yet saddened.

The last couple months have been filled with good times and special celebrations. Senior Prom. Senior Inspiration Celebration. Graduation. Graduation parties. A new job. College preview. Apartment shopping. Our dearest friends and family have come to join and celebrate with us. There have been many "lasts" and just as many "firsts". The last prom, the last exams, the last day of school, the last grad party. The first job (outside of being supported by her Aunt and Uncle 30acre ;), the first apartment, the first college schedule, the first college ID, the first roommate, and the first... umm, tattoo.

We are at 19 days and counting until we move Taryn into her apartment in Gainesville, Florida. Flashbacks to my days at Syracuse are now commonplace. Many parallels, from the orange and blue to the 4 hour drive. I will admit, Taryn's roommate's mother and I have fantasized of the two of us going to live in their place and leaving them here. Gene and I have preplanned Fall football games and weekends as Gators.

College is such a promising time, full of hope and change and new experiences and fear and trepidation. I cannot think of a time, aside from perhaps my pregnancy, when I had such emotions. I am beyond excited for Taryn and all that her life can become. I have a feeling, as I'm sure many of you are thinking as well, that I am not going to handle this well. Taryn and I are connected. Really connected. And I will miss the heck out of her. I wish her joy and happiness and fun times... but...parting is such sweet sorrow. :'(




















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said! As I lay here in my hotel room in new york traveling down Nostalgia Highway..I have tears streaming over your accurate words are read. Taryn has been such an instrumental part of my families lives. She has not only been the best niece anyone could ever ask for, she has been a fantastic friend and admirable cousin. Although we can travel to see her, it is not the same thing...no more calls in the middle of the night for her to help in our crisis'...no more calls to go pick up a kid here or there...the Cushings are my families Rock and without one, it will take adjusting...We are so proud of Tar and can't wait to see how she aw's us with her life!!

Giovanna Mealer said...

Mare,
Your post is well written, it had me in tears. I felt every word and get every emotion. It won't be too awfully long and I'll be going through this very thing with Lauren. After all, time flies. So what's another 6 years but a drop in the bucket?

I'm happy for you and Gene and for Taryn. She's got so much ahead of her. (and I'm lovin' the tat... tell her I said so)

Love ya couz!

apartments in gainesville said...

Hi, interesting post. I have been wondering about real estate, so thanks for posting. I’ll definitely be subscribing to your site. Keep up the good posts. Thank you to tell us so much useful information. I’m glad to read it.