Sunday, September 14, 2008

Fall Recruitment at FGCU

I feel like I've been out of town for the past few days. In a sense, I've been transported to 1986 and my sorority just had hundreds of girls rush through our doors in the hopes of becoming a Chi Omega. Really, this week was a blast from the past. The Chi O chapter at FGCU completed its first ever formal recruitment week today. 

As a Chapter Advisor, I spent numerous hours over the past four days at the FGCU Student Union volunteering to set up, clean up and everything in between. At the same time that it brought back many fond college memories, it gave my body a reality check. Late nights, long hours and irregular meals is a thing of the past for a reason! But it was very rewarding to be there for the bright young ladies whom I call sisters. Not only that, spending time with my fellow advisor sisters has been great fun. I can hardly wait until my daughter, Taryn, pledges Chi Omega at University of Gainesville.

A couple shouts out... one to The Flying Pig, a catering company introduced to me by a fellow advisor, Lou P. I haven't yet used the company myself, but have had the pleasure of tasting some of their delectable desserts on more than one occasion. The other kudos goes to Grandezza, where we held today's Bid Day lunch for the 50 plus new members, the 60 plus current sisters and the Advisory Board. If you haven't been, the clubhouse is gorgeous, the buffet was delightful and the ballroom would make for a beautiful wedding or event.

I have been told many times over the years that people would never peg me for a sorority girl. But those nearly 300,000 women who have pledged Chi Omega over the past 100+ years would tell you I am a Chi O thru and thru. The sorority I belong to is dedicated to the growth and advancement of strong, smart women and ideals of friendship, honesty and integrity. The XO motto, "To be womanly always, discouraged never." Chi O is about me trying to be my best self, and friends who accept me as is. Now that's a sisterhood I can relate to.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mare,

I LOVED the blog-- I am truly sorry I wasn't able to be there-- It sounds like we have an incredible new member class and I can't wait to meet them when I return!!

Loyally,
Kat D'Amico