Saturday, February 14, 2009

My Favorite City

This year, my January trip to NYC was faster than usual. I traditionally try to make it last as long as possible, and often bring friends and family to tag along. All the same, it was a blast and I made the 2 days worth my while.

The reason for the trip was to attend the Adrian Awards, an annual award gala presented by the largest international hospitality organization in the world, HSMAI. Everyone who is anyone in the world of hospitality is there, and we spent the evening surrounded by impressive travel companies such as Norwegian Cruise Lines, Ritz Carlton Hotels, Delta Airlines, and the State of Hawaii. My business partner Kimberly, myself and our client Jessica Grace from the Bradenton Area Convention & Visitors Bureau accepted five awards for our work on their website, www.FloridasGulfIslands.com, and for our 2008 integrated web marketing program. While our tourism award tally is near 40, this was a record-setting number for our agency and the first time all awards were received in the web category.

Enough boasting and on to the personal highlights of the trip. I have to give credit to Kim for the adventurous tram to subway ride to the hotel (although I made a wrong quick judgement which took us even longer!). Since the E was down, Kim, Alicia and I ended up spending some quality time touring Manhattan via underground subway. Always colorful. Our afternoon was full of reminiscing, first the arrival of Kimberly's college buddy Scott from Connecticut and then my college pal Gwen from Jersey. We all shared a beverage at my favorite Carmine's before Gwen and I went off to have dinner with the ladies of Chi Omega from Syracuse University.

Our soiree included 10 sisters, most of whom I have enjoyed 4 or 5 of these mini-reunions with over the past couple years. I also was happy to see a few of whom I hadn't seen since college. With my newfound love for planning reunions and the ever-awesome Facebook, those moments of reconnection warm my heart (sorry, I know that's corny, but its true).

I also got to see my beloved brother-in-law Billy, who is a big time international money trader downtown in South Street Seaport. We lunched at Mark Joseph on incredible steak and chatted about the kids and such. Always a pleasure.

I was so happy to score a couple of great gifts for my daughter and husband, but unfortunately, did NO shopping for myself this time! All my minutes were spent just being together with friends - the ones I traveled with and the ones I visited with. Without a doubt, not a regret.













No comments: