Thursday, May 20, 2010

Lemon Pound Cake, Anyone?

Maybe back in the days of Newhart I might have fantasized about owning a bed & breakfast once or twice. I do recall thinking during those fleeting moments about having strangers in my house, having to clean it and doing lots of cooking. If you know me at all, you know that is not my forte. Add to that the knowledge I've gained in the resort industry of ADR's, occupancy, operating expenses, etc and I would have said not a chance. That is, until I met JoAnn and her lemon pound cake.

JoAnn and Kevin Hazard hailed from suburban Virginia, where they raised their family and lived normal lives with normal jobs. Until a few years ago, when they decided to pursue their dream of living in the place they loved to vacation, Middleburg. Middleburg is a quaint, historic and upscale village in rural Loudoun County, Northern Virginia. Loudoun is in DC's backyard, known for its Civil War history, rolling hills, and boutique wineries.

Our stay at the Middleburg Country Inn was prompted by a research trip I made last summer. The impression JoAnn made on me with her soft-spoken hospitality was enough to bring me back. I shared this visit with my husband (50th birthday), Mike and Christine (50th birthday), and Billy and Karen (20th anniversary). In fact, the arrival of my sister Karen and brother-in-law Billy from New Jersey was a surprise for Gene. The inn is at the entry of the village, situated on a large green lawn with multiple sun porches. From the third floor balcony I could see an old brick house to the right, a tiny red barn to the left, and an 18th century cemetery across the lane.

During our stay, we had chance to share a glass of wine on the patio one evening with our innkeepers. Kevin, who reminds me of a much taller Gene, is a great guy. He was a wrestler in school like my hubby and he commutes to DC working as a general contractor. All the while we chatted, JoAnn held her rooster shaped timer on her lap to keep a watchful eye on the never empty bowl of chocolate chip cookies that resided in the entry. I can't tell you how many times I had to turn a blind eye on that bowl during our stay! (I confess to ONE cookie on the last night. Don't think the remainder of the clan can say the same.)

In comparison to a B&B I stayed at in Charleston, SC, Middleburg Country Inn is much more a home than a hotel. The couple live at the inn, and you can tell. While JoAnn cooks the breakfast (I witnessed her early rise to cook the bacon), Kevin serves it. They know everyone in town, and a simple question will get you hooked up with reservations or coupons to a local wine tasting.

Curious George (I mean Mike) picked JoAnn's brain about the life of an innkeeper. And the fantasy crept back in. I did offer to inn-sit for them so they could vacay, like the girl in Nights of Rodanthe. JoAnn told me to be careful what I wish for. I'm secretly hoping that phone will ring anyday now.


























No comments: