Saturday, October 18, 2008

Philly Sounds Fab

Philly PA, a city that has never been on my travel radar - until recently. A little mention by my college roomie Jenn when we were at our reunion at SU that I should come to Philly to visit her seemed to spark a chain of awareness. Then, another college friend mentions her daughter wants to join our sorority at the college she attends in Lancaster PA, Franklin & Marshall. Then my sister mentions that my nephew wants to attend Penn State. To top it off, the same nephew is playing in a soccer tourney in Philly the weekend I am up north for my grandmother's 90th birthday party in November. 

So this ex-New Yorker, who has zero understanding of the geography of Pennsylvania, does a little google mapping to see what's what and where's where. Penn State - 3 hours from Philly, Lancaster - about an hour and a half. My sister's house in Jersey - also an hour and a half. What is it about this city that keeps popping up? And is it worth a closer look for this travel obsessed girl? 

I found a travel website, www.gophila.com, that is chock full of Philly fun. There, I learned there are 4 counties in Philly, one of which is Chester where Jenn lives. Chester is an historic district that was established by William Penn and is home to the first stop on the freedom train. A notable site that caught my eye - the Brandywine River Museum... also known as the Wyeth Museum because of the abundance of 3 generations of Wyeth works (Andrew Wyeth - a fave artist of mine). According to Jenn, her city of Phoenixville is 45 min west of Philly and is seeing a resurgence in the downtown Bridge Street area. Something else she mentioned of interest (to me anyway), microbreweries are big in Philly!

Which leads me to food (doesn't everything?). On www.philly.com, I watched a video on Wine and Cheesesteak. Can you say, yummy? The news segment highlighted area sandwiches paired with a wine, including italian pork and fried fish. This alone may be worth the trip.

If I will get to Philly in November is still up in the air, but regardless, this looks like a place to put on my bucket list - could be a potential girlie trip.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this blog post! Caroline from the Philadelphia Tourism office here. Google just alerted me to your awesome post.

You should also check out our "insider" blog: www.uwishunu.com.

And I'd love to answer any questions you might have to convince you to come and see for yourself why Philly is on everyone's lips.

Marianne Cushing said...

Thanks Caroline! I've visited the uwishunu site already... love the insider/locals concept. I love "exploring" Official Tourism sites, since my agency is in the "destination" biz as well. I like the swirly tattoo-like logo, reminds me of a designer named Margo Chase. Love her work.

I enjoyed all the copy on your site... you must have a great team of content writers! I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the fact that you have targeted different travelers - from Green to Hip to GLBT - on your site. Way to speak to people about what's important to THEM! I write my blog for fun and the love of travel, so I'm happy to pass on a good discovery when I find one.

Hope to see Philly soon, and good luck Philly's!