Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Back Post - Summer Trip Tik Day #4

Admittedly, I did not keep up on my daily trip tik posts, especially during the transition from Nueva York to Wicked Good Maine. On Day #4, we said good-bye to the familia in Dutchess County and headed for a stop off in Connecticut. On the way, I got to see some of my oldest and dearest friends. Dragging her out of summertime bliss in bed, childhood friend Dawn R and I coerced fellow school chum Mella A into coffee at Dunkin's at 8:30am before Dawn went to work. We even had an unexpected run in with Mella's parents, who I haven't seen since I was a kid.

After breakfast, we got on our way to Connecticut via Poughkeepsie to see Gene's childhood friend Nick, his daughter Shea and his new infant girl, Jamie (we missed you Francine!). As usual, even with his hands full with a 6 year old, 2 nieces, an infant and recovering from a recent surgery, Nick made us an incredible creamy penne pasta dish with chicken and bacon. I love that man! The next door neighbor came over to fix the roof, and it turned out to be a middle school friend of mine, Fran Addeo. Six degrees.

After lunch, Jane (the ignorant slut of a GPS unit) led us the scenic route to northern Connecticut. We passed through the sprawling farmlands of Amenia NY and into the rolling roads of CT. Destination North Granby, a suburban leaning towards rural town, where my longest (not oldest) friend Christine Peaslee and her hubby Jeff Somers (pronounced with a short u, not long o) reside. We played wiffle ball, hung with the kids Haley and Con-man, and drank wine and filled up on Chris' chili and cornbread to the point of not caring about grilling the steaks. I love visiting with them, we usually end up laughing till we cry. Balderdash did not let us down in that category. I only know one human whose fake definitions are more recognizable than Gene's, and that is Christine's son Connor, who connected everything to a bodily function.

My next missing post - Day #3, with my beloved Nanny and my beloved Yankees. What a day!









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great to see you Mare. Sorry I had to leave you guys at Dunkin' so soon. We too had our GPS take us through the back roads to get home from Christine's...but our trip was at 1:30 A.M. AND when we came across a road that was closed due to construction our chicky got so confused it took almost a half hour to get back on track! Maybe next time we all can get together some how-all 4 couples. Todd would have loved to see you and Gene.

Marianne Cushing said...

We've been calling our girl Jane (the ignorant slut). She let us down a bit going from Maine to NJ to see my sister - 2 hours of dead stop traffic by the George Washington Bridge!

How was the 4th party - you didn't stay?

Thanks for meeting me for coffee, sorry I missed Todd!