Monday, July 7, 2008

Summer Trip Tik Day #9

Today I awoke with the decision to do something before 1 pm (LOL). So over coffee, I announced I would be heading to Rockland to visit the Farnsworth Museum before the kayaks we ordered arrived. Anne Marie, Taryn and Gene took the bait, while Dan and Hannah stayed back for some daddy-daughter time. The Farnsworth is a lovely museum, and includes a number of buildings. The main museum houses Andrew Wyeth's work, along with other American painters. Julia's House has children's work, the large white church-like building is reserved for N.C. (Andrew's father) and James Wyeth (his son), who is a Monhegan Island resident. The Farnsworth's home is part of the 2 block wide compound, recognized as one of the finest Victorian era residences on the East coast (all original). 

I was most taken with Andrew Wyeth's work (always been a fan of Christina's World), liking his tempera over the watercolors. I felt a sense of connection, mostly because much of the work was painted in Cushing, Maine. Taryn and I are on a hunt for an antique sign that says the town name.

When the kayaks arrived, we returned to the cottage and quickly took a leisurely row out around a small island before the fog rolled in. My first ever saltwater row. The water is choppy and cold, but the view point of the coast is worthy to be put on canvas for sure. Before dinner of burgers on the grill, I sat in the lawn to draw the boat house, water, and all the wild flowers and rocks that frame the coast. A perfect ending to a great Sunday.






No comments: