Thursday, July 24, 2008

Cross Country Travel Conundrum

I know it's only been a week or so since my summer trip, but with 25 hours in the car we needed something to do. So, my family began discussing the cross country trip Gene has been dreaming of taking Taryn on before she goes off to college. Next summer is the year. So I pulled out my handy Atlas (as us Yankees are intimately familiar with the eastern seaboard, but west of Ohio and it gets pretty fuzzy). The places Gene started spouting to visit: Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, St. Louis. Then Taryn lit into: Four Corners, San Francisco, Los Angeles! There was even a mention of a stop off in San Antonio to see my cousin. Okay folks, remember, this was many hours into the drive home, so my mind started calculating the hours in the car! Eeee gads! The ache in my back sharpened!

What we finally agreed on - we are NOT driving all the way from Florida, especially since my friend in Corpus told me how long and boring the drive from eastern to western Texas really is.We will have to save TX for another trip (sorry Donna and Jenn!). Next thing to consider is Gene and Taryn will have about 3 to 3 and a half weeks. I will have 2 weeks. So, we discussed flying into Denver or Salt Lake and renting a car from there. We don't have to fly into the same place. Next issue, the vehicle. Do we rent a car and stay in hotels/motels or spring for the expensive RV? (flashes of Robin Williams here)

The point of this post… to get your advice. Suggested routes, accommodations, sites worth seeing, sites worth skipping, how much time to spend in each place, should I begin the trip with them or end with them, where to pick up with them, etc. I personally am okay with skipping Chicago and St Louis and spending more time concentrated around CO, AZ, UT, CA. Chicago isn't even a requirement (I was looking for affordable cities to fly into) My hot spots: Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Yellowstone, San Fran and maybe Denver or Salt Lake. Or, perhaps there are some places I haven't considered in my western ignorance. I also don't want to buzz through each place so that I'm in the car all the time, or so I don't get to feel that "connection" that only comes with spending time there. I have a vague thought of them flying into Chicago, heading to St Louis, Kansas City and heading towards Denver. I meet up with them in Denver after a week and we do the western thing. But is 2 weeks enough to see all those spots mentioned? Or do they do Mount Rushmore without me, as its in SD?

I'm putting this out to my blogosphere for feedback. I look forward to your comments!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great trip!

After graduation, Sue DiBara and I lived in Phoenix for a while and drove cross-country back (on motorcycles, but that's another story...). We rode under the arch in St. Louis, but didn't see much else warranting a special "stop" there.

I'd recommend flying into Minneapolis/St. Paul over Chicago. You can check out the Mall of America :) and then head to Mt. Rushmore and further west. You could make a backwards C shaped loop, going west from Minnesota through Colorado and Wyoming to San Francisco, then down the Pacific Coast Highway and turning east in southern California, ending in the southwest.

Must sees: Grand Canyon (it's truly a breath-taking sight), Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and Mt. Rushmore

I have never been to San Francisco, but it's on my "life list." If you do go, Fred/Paul Sauer from freshman year in Shaw lives there. He's a screenwriter and would probably love to show you around.

We did southern California last year (Disneyland and Universal in Hollywood) and one of the best days was kicking back on Huntington Beach, known as Surf City U.S.A. I'd recommend that, and a burger on the pier at Ruby's.

Have fun planning!
Sue

Marianne Cushing said...

Thanks Sue, when is your new blog launching? And the motorcycle story, that one I wanna hear about in Sept when we're at SU!

Jessica Grace said...

Sounds great! My recommendations - don't drive through Texas as mentioned earlier - I've done the drive from Naples, FL to Durango, CO - Texas took foreva!

If i had to choose, go to San Fran over LA - the streets of Naples are much more posh than what i had anticipated in LA aka Beverly Hills, everywhere we went it was dirty (horrible smog) and the only stars we spotted were c even d listers, Elizabeth Shannon, Peter Faulk (Columbo) that guy from Blossom, can't even remember his name! It is much more glamorous as a fantasy in your mind!

San Fran is a must, amazing parks, fantastic food and not to far from the holy land that is Napa! We did the Red Wood forest, south of San Fran and it is one of the most amazing places i've ever seen - a great hike and trees so large you could drive a truck through!

Have fun - can't wait to research along with you!
jess

ps. Brad and I are looking at Napa for our Sept/Oct 09 vacation! yippee

Unknown said...

Hi Marianne: It's Amy here of onthegowithamy.com. This sounds like a great trip.

Since I live in SF, I have to recommend that you go there. You need at least three days in the city.

Colorado is one of my favorite states. I love Boulder, Crested Butte, and my absolute favorite spot is Telluride, which look as if it could be set in the Swiss Alps.

If you hit the Grand Canyon, you could consider visiting Flagstaff, only two hours away, as well. It's fun to drive the old Route 66 through Arizona.

Have fun!

Best,
Amy