Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Girls, Girls and More Girls

Ahead of my time or just one of the girls? It's all over the news… girlfriend getaways are booming. Search the internet and you will find articles proclaiming such as recent as last week, to 4 and 5 years ago. The deduction is simple, women like to travel and women like to spend time with their gal pals. A match made in heaven.

I have been one of those women for as long as I could afford to get out of town! Some of my trips… My 30th birthday with the girls in South Beach,… reconnecting with 2 high school girlies in NYC after finding each other on classmates.com,… my Tuesday night dinner group escaping to the Florida Keys,… my sorority sisters converging after nearly 20 years (again in NYC),… and my daughter's 14th (okay, and 16th) birthdays (you know where).

According to Stephanie Oswald, editor-in-chief of travelgirl magazine,"…this is a phenomenon and not a trend. It's here to stay." A recent AAA survey found that 24 percent of American women have taken a girlfriend getaway in the past three years, and 39 percent of American women plan on taking one in the next three years. So if you are wondering if I have one on the books, of course! This September at my alma mater, Syracuse University, with the afore mentioned sorority girls… we're planning a weekend of football and reminiscing among the collegians during homecoming.

My idea of some great places for a girls only trip – New Orleans, Bahamas, Boston, Miami Beach and it goes without saying, my all-time favorite, NYC.

Cheryl, Annie, Taryn, Me and Chris at Ruby Fu's

Chi Omega Alumnae in the upper west side

Courtney, Taryn, Alyssa, Karen, Me and Chris at Ono

Connecticut Christine, Me and Florida Christine in NYC

1 comment:

cher said...

Well well, what an exciting idea. Perhaps one day I will be as Blessed to have such a wonderful circle of friends to share in such magnificent times. Your "Insight" is greatly appreciated. Keep adding to your blog, I enjoy reading about your experiences and your travels! Signed, your biggest fan