Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Stigma of Boxed Wine

Hi, my name is Marianne… and I drink boxed wine. 

I'll admit, I was a bottled wine snob until recently. I'll even confess to re-gifting a box of wine that was given to me one Christmas. But that was before my discovery of Black Box wines. It all started when my dear hubby decided to add the obligatory glass of red wine for "heart health" to his daily diet, and I was complaining to him about wasting my "good" wine (I say wasting because he hated the taste and would basically plug his nose and chug the wine out of a plastic cup).

During one of our regularly scheduled weekend tennis battles at chateau Chow, Kai's son Michael turned us on to the black box. I was skeptical, but I have to admit, it has turned me into a boxed wine girl. Now, I have to say, not ALL box wine tastes fine. Just like not all bottled wine tastes fine. But Black Box is an 8-time Wine Enthusiast best buy. 

For red wine drinkers, the advantage of boxed wine - it lasts up to 4 weeks after opening versus 1 week in the bottle. The disadvantage - without the ability to see the bottle emptying, you can't tell how much you are drinking! So be careful!

No comments: