Thursday, May 22, 2008

Time to be a foodie

Whenever I am tempted to over indulge in the culinary arts, my very healthy husband says, "You should eat to live, not live to eat." He's done a great job of working that philosophy the last few years, but I, on the other hand, am not as quick to convert. 

One of my favorite parts of my job is that I get to spend every day strategizing and being creative about my favorite topics, travel and food. With more than 50% of travelers inclined to consider culinary-driven vacations, our clients at Florida's Gulf Islands were the perfect candidates for a culinary niche initiative. What I love about this place is that on the 7.5 mile island of Anna Maria, there is only one chain restaurant (Shells next to the Publix) on the island. There are more than 50 independent restaurants in the destination - many boasting award-winning chefs and one-of-a-kind cuisine and atmosphere. Among my favorites, Mr. Bones BBQ, an eclectic little joint with a skeleton on the sign and a self-serve coffin filled with beer inside. The mix of creole style ribs and Indian dishes are totally unique and unforgettable. Another notable visit, the lobster bisque at the end of the Anna Maria pier - to die for. Gotta stop now, I'm getting hungry. Check out the latest brainchild of our gang at Insight, www.TimeToBeAFoodie.com. My favorite parts… my friend Doug at Van Gogh Vodka mixing up the official cocktail of the destination, the Gulf Islands Blue, in the ingredients video, the recipes we accumulated (so I can give to Gene to make for me), and the very awesome vacation packages our industry partners whipped up for the months of May and June!

No comments: