Wednesday, May 21, 2008

South Beach Insanity

I'm taking you back to September 2006 for a contrast to the quiet, romantic weekend in Charleston in my first post. This is "the crew" and we are standing in front of Miami Ink in South Miami Beach. We are here for my 40th birthday bash, and our first order of business is the obligatory mid-life tattoo from my favorite tattoo artist on t.v. Chris Garver.

After waiting in line (on line for New Yorkers), a less than enthusiastic employee unlocked the door (10 minutes late) and the crowd filed in to the tiny shop and signed up for tattoos. With no celebrity artists in sight and a $200 minimum, we decided to find a place recommended to me called Lucky Tattoo. As luck had it, it was around the corner and empty - which worried us at first. But after meeting Lucky himself and seeing the extremely clean shop, the bravest of us began working with Lucky. I had already planned a very small chinese symbol of friendship to be placed on the back of my neck under my hair, where I could hide it when circumstances deemed "appropriate". Two of the girls, Cheryl and Chris, joined me with the same tattoo (in varying locations), which had been hand drawn by the father of one of my dear friends, Kai. And so the artistry began. We took over Lucky's shop with tattoo after tattoo, and you can see from the photos the progression of my daughter's waning interest.

Later that weekend we ran into Lucky on the street heading to a little Cuban restaurant Craig's mom recommended. Craig is our Miami Beach raised buddy and knows all the ins and outs. He taught Gene how to properly load and eat a bagel on this trip. If you'd like to know the secret, just ask and I'll find out straight from the source. Lucky checked on all our tat's, it's funny how a few thousands penetrating needles bonds you with a person.

We got an insane price at the Miami Beach Loew's, a Florida resident special. I think the rate was about $199, which I have tried since to find again, to no avail. Those days seem to be over. But it still is a favorite of mine, especially the proximity to Lincoln Road, and the memory of a fabulous red gown with Swarovski crystal straps that mysteriously made it into my suitcase.

There are a few questionable moments, which we won't mention… but that is par for traveling with "the crew". You know who you are and what you did. I just want to know, who put those drink charges on Chris and Mike's room?














No comments: