Monday, June 23, 2008

Vacation Anticipation

I never really thought about the before and after of a vacation until tonight. As I think of writing this post, numerous "to do" lists go through my mind for our Saturday departure to Maine. Bags are beginning to get organized, laundry stacked for packing, doggie care arrangements, haircuts, bank trips, the emptying of fridge perishables, mail and lawn favors, electronics' battery charging, oil change and car cleaning, last minute projects at work, and so on… 

Last summer was my first two week trip since the year I flew back mid stream to pitch an account about 10 years ago. This is my second. As we move into our second decade in business together with 20 years in the industry, my biz partner and I know we can rely on each other to hold down the fort, forge ahead with confidence and let our individual knowledge and instincts give the other complete freedom to rejuvenate with our families. Being in tourism, isn't it apropos that we should also enjoy the healing powers of vacationing?

The anticipation of going on vacation is a climatic one. Mind wanderings of discovering a new place, spending time with family and friends, going to bed early and sleeping late, hiking and biking for miles, photographing the beautiful countryside, reading books for hours, tasting new flavors, and making new memories creep into your every thought. The return is as anticipatory, when you share photos with coworkers, along with the little mementos and stories you bring back of where you've been, who you've met and how a place touched your heart.

I ask you, how could there be anything about traveling you don't love???

I'll be sitting in that Adirondack chair much of the time

The Atlantic Ocean at our rental - heard the water is coooold

I hope that's the view from my room

I'll be sitting here too - see the "relax" sign on the shelf?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a native New Englander who often rushes south for an escape in the winter, I love that Floridians enjoy the beauty up here in the summer. Enjoy and relax! Sue, the college roomie